Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sparks To Light the World!

AWANA has always been a big part of my life. It just has. I started as a Cubbie and went through every year all the way to 8th grade. I remember having my picture taken for my Cubbie book, finishing my Start Zone for TnT, and finally making it to JV where all the "cool big kids" were. It's always so odd when you find yourself suddenly where you've been trying to get for so long (ie. JV). Now, I'm an LIT (Leader In Training)for Sparks!

Boy do I remember Sparkies! I remember my first day as a spark when I was sitting in a circle with a leader (I'm not sure who)and watching all of the older Sparkies who seemed SO old! (yet they were really 7!) I remember Quiet Night, Crazy Hair Night, Library Night, Leader Night, Team Color Night, and Valentines Night! We used to make banners for our teams and we always had to stay on the line and in height. It was always fun to see who was the tallest! I remember my leaders and how fun it was to tell them things and show them my craft so they would say how great it was. There's always something special about an older person talking to you!

And oh how hard the verses were! Especially before I could read! All the sparkies would try to peak at the verses while saying it. We all knew which leaders were careless with holding the book and which would hold it so tight you couldn't see it.

Then there were always those little things that were so very important! Like who you sat by, saving seats, and who was following the rules.

Now I'm one of those leaders who the Sparkies love to come up to and show stuff! and I love to listen! I love to help the Sparkies along with their verses, making a big deal out of their crafts, listen to what they did this week, and run with them after snack! Helping in Sparkies is great!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, yeah it is :) What I remember most from Sparkies is the night when some kids took turns going up to the front and they got to tell people what to do. Mark went up and told Peter, who was an LIT at the time I think, to get him a drink, in his Mark way. After he sat down and took a sip, he said, "Hey, this has soap in it!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! That's hilarious!

    Glenn, I think your first Sparky leader was Bobby? Or was it Ty?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had Ty as my leader. Oh wait! Yes I did! That's when he got me doing the golf clap! (which I still do today) I just remember having a girl leader the first day, I think that was only for a little bit then I switched teams and had Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's always so odd when you find yourself suddenly where you've been trying to get for so long." - This is so true! (College kids aren't all that awesome, fyi!)

    I, too, have wonderful AWANA memories! I had this wonderful game circle team of all girls; our leader was a man, and he took pride in our team. I ran the boys' race every week. There was this glorious night when I schooled all those boys. The triumph a ten-year-old can feel! :)

    ReplyDelete